For those of you like me who LOVE football, today is a big day. My team is not playing, so I get to relax and just hope that it's an exciting game. If you have no plans today, then this is a regular Sunday for you. But even if you're not a big football fan, you might be going to a party or having some people over.
I want to talk about strategy today - and this is relevant not just for the Superbowl but lots of events - everything from baby showers to birthday parties - so read on! First of all, what is your plan for today? I ask that with no judgment. Are you planning on staying rigorously on plan? Indulging a little? Throwing caution to the wind and eating whatever is there? Any of those choices are fine, but you need to have a plan BEFORE you walk out the door so you have no regrets either way.
Ok, so let's make some decisions. Let's say you want to just eat what is there and enjoy yourself. Ask yourself these questions:
- When I get on the scale tomorrow, if I've eaten "typical" party food, the scale will be up by a lot. It will not be uncommon to see 5 pounds more. This will MOSTLY be water weight from fluid retention. Can I handle and accept this, or will it throw me into a depression and/or cause me to lose motivation?
- If I eat a lot, I will probably not see a loss this week. Can I live with this?
- Am I a sugar/salt/carb addict? If so, will I be able to get right back on plan tomorrow or will it throw me off kilter for days or weeks?
- Will there be any food there that is healthy or do I need to bring my own food?
- Am I prepared for comments from other people?
- Will I feel deprived and resentful watching other people eat and enjoy?
There are no right and wrong answers to these questions. But they are things that you need to look at before the time comes. Whichever decision you make, make sure you're ok with it and make a plan for this to be a one day event, not something that drags on for the next 2 weeks and leads to a major setback.
If you do want to eat a little recklessly today, here are some advance ways to mitigate the damage. You've got some time now, how about a little extra exercise this morning? No, you're not going to be able to exercise in advance a lot of extra calories, but 1 hour now can at least cover a piece of pizza! Bring your own water to the event. Drink that to fill you up some. Eat something healthy for breakfast and lunch so you're not starving when all the junk comes out. And don't hang out by the snack table!
Good luck, have fun and GO NINERS!!!!